Saturday, February 19, 2011

Command-line Invocation of OneNote’s Screen Capture at Window Startup

I accidentally deleted the link to start OneNote 2007’s task bar icon at startup, and a problem with my Startup folder prevents me from recreating it the normal way. After spending quite a bit of time looking around, I finally find the right command line command to use:

"C:\Programs\Microsoft Office\Office12\ONENOTEM.EXE" /tsr

For better or for worse, I am currently invoking it at Startup via the Windows registry instead of a shortcut from the startup folder. But you can also use it to create a shortcut icon instead.

I use this a lot. With the proper setup, it is a good screen capture tool. I invoke it using Win+S key, the screen then turns to a pasty white, and I then select the part of the screen I want to capture. This sends the capture to the clipboard, and I can paste it either into OneNote if I wish, or as I did below, paste into Windows Live Writer directly.

Here are the two settings I use to set it up:

image

image

Normally, you can enable the OneNote task icon by going into Tools –> Options, and check the box “Place OneNote icon in the notification area of the taskbar.”  (See below) OneNote will then place a shortcut at your Startup folder.

image