Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Amazon's PUBG Mobile won't Update, How to Solve This?


I have been playing PUBG Mobile using Amazon Appstore's version, because I have a China Xiaomi phone with no Google Appstore. People with Amazon Android tablets like Kindle Fires also tends to use Amazon's version of the game. 

As of today, July 14, 2020, season 14 has arrived but an update has yet to arrive at the Amazon Appstore. People on the Amazon PUBG Mobile page are complaining that the game can't be updated or won't update on their kindle fire / android devices. I've only started playing this since May, but some of the reviews suggest that the Amazon Appstore's update lags the Google Appstore update all the time.


pubg mobile amazon appstore complains on won't update.


How to resolve the won't update issue


I got tired of waiting and solved the problem by updating using the APK file from the official PUBG Mobile page directly. The official site is at Pubgmobile.com, and it has the option of downloading the APK file directly.

pubg mobile official page allowing direct apk file download to install.

 
So, I downloaded the APK file, and ran the apk file on my android phone to install. The game works after the install is complete and I can play with friends again.
Note the APK file is just around 600MB, but when you install the file it's going to download a lot more things. If you are not familar with installing from APK file, you can usually find the APK file via some sort of file explorer program, and just click on it. It might just work if you click the apk file via your browser after you have downloaded it. You might have to allow your phone to "install from unknown source," but I trust the APK file since it's from the official PUBG page. You should install using APK files from sources that you trust.

Notes about the old Season 13 version running during season 14

  • Arena in the old version (season 13) still works. So if you want to just wait on Amazon, there's that.
  • Classic mode in the old version doesn't seem to work. I tried a few times, waited for over 4 minutes, and still can't connect. Some people in the Amazon PUBG mobile page commented that it does work but takes a really long time.

Notes about the Season 14 installed via APK

  • I can't purchase anything. I get a message saying I can't purchase from my region. This doesn't matter to me since I've never purchased anything. But if you want to buy the season pass and whatnot, just know that installing this version won't let you do so. (See image below.)
  • I do not link the game on my phone with any accounts -- i.e., I play as "guest". I can confirm, at least for this version, my character is preserved. My character and progress is still there after the update.
  • The amazon app page now shows PUBG mobile as "Not from Amazon". (See image below.)
     

Here's the purchase error.


PUBG Mobile purcahse error from direct apk install version.

Here's the Amazon appstore page showing PUBG mobile as "Not from Amazon". If you tap on "Open", it will open the non-Amazon version of the game. However, running some of the other apps you get from Amazon, you don't need the Appstore running for the game to run.

PUBG mobile shown as "not from amazon" after install via apk file.


Anyhow, happy gaming!