Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Playing Amazon's Version of PUBG Mobile gets Banned?


So it seems players are getting banned according to a handful of recent Amazon comments? So what to do? How to solve the problem? Honestly, this post goes pretty much exactly as my last post. So the tl;dr version is to go to the official site at Pubgmobile.com and get that version instead. For more details on how to do this, see that last post.


Clipped picture showing amazon comments on the banning issue for Amazon's version of PUBG mobile.


Anyhow, my original plan was to replace the official version of PUBG Mobile with the Amazon version now that the Season 14 Livik update is available in the Amazon Appstore. In particular, I wanted to see if my account is preserved, and if real money purchases work in Amazon's version.

Fortunately, half way into the Amazon download, I looked over the Amazon reviews and found that multiple people are mentioning about getting banned after updating and playing. Thank you to the sacrifices of these reviewers, I stop the download and just reinstall the official PUBG website version.

So, FYI, after uninstalling and reinstalling the official PUBG Mobile app, my progress is preserved. I can also get back my control layout via the cloud. However, I do have to go through and redo all my other settings like graphics options for example. Again, I play as a guest on my phone.

I did not verify that if you play the updated Amazon version you would indeed get banned -- yeah, I am not going to risk it. I can easily envision this happening though because Amazon definitely injects code into a lot of its apps so that you can make in-app purchases using Amazon coins and its payment system, and perhaps the code injection incorrectly gets flagged as a hack. If this is the case, I hope Amazon can sort it out with Tencent and have the bans reversed. To be fair, it is also possible that all the recent commenters commenting about bans are indeed cheaters, and that the new version of the game simply have improved on cheat detection.

Now, if you haven't gotten banned and purchasing is important to you, then good luck continue using the Amazon version of PUBG. Even so, you might want to wait a few weeks and let the issue (hopefully) sort out between Amazon and Tencent. If you don't do any purchases, and I do not, then I would strongly recommend that you switch over and install the official version via the official website's APK file instead.

Or, if you are like me and actually have a Chinese phone with the Chinese App Store, you can also download the Chinese version of PUBG Mobile to get around the issue. The Chinese version is treated as a different game by the phone, and so you can have both versions installed. I myself have started playing on the Chinese version on occasion. The downside of this approach is you would either need to know Chinese, or know the layouts of all the options really well so you can do without Chinese.

There are slight variations between the two versions of the game, and some menu items are moved. Nonetheless, those who played the non-Chinese version a lot should be able to get by.