Wednesday, January 29, 2020

How to Resolve Issue with Virtual Box Copy and Paste Failing


I use Oracle's VirtualBox for my virtual machine needs. For me specifically, I still use a very old copy of Outlook running in Windows XP and clipboard sharing is important. Unfortunately, I had been having problems with copy and paste failing for the past half-year. I.e., I can't copy from the host and paste the content into programs in the virtual machine. And I can't copy from the client virtual machine and paste the content into programs in the host. If I reboot the Virtual machine, copy and pasting would work for a little while and then stopped.

Picture showing where/how to get the ISO image to install Guest Additions in the virtual machine


Well, at least for me, the solution is to update the VirtualBox Guest Additions program. With your virtual machine running, select Devices -> Insert Guest Additions CD Image, and then install the Additions via the CD drive of your virtual machine.

I had been neglecting to update the Guest Additions in the client virtual machine while I update the VirtualBox program. Seems like eventually the version incompatibility creeps in and breaks copy and paste even though other services supported by the Additions still works fine.