Monday, September 29, 2014

Swapping the Fn and Ctrl keys on Lenovo Laptops


For the unaware, the Lenovo keyboard placement of the Fn and Ctrl keys looks like the following. 



For the longest time, this bothers me because I grew up expecting the control key to be at the corner of the keyboard. 

So when I got the x240 a while back, I was pleasantly surprised that they finally added the feature to allow the swapping of the keys. To access this, boot into the Thinkpad setup, and select Config -> Keyboard/mouse -> Fn and Ctrl Key swap.



To my surprise (and horror), I find myself consistently hitting the wrong keys after enabling the option. It seems Lenovo has trained me to treat the corner key as Fn when I am on a laptop. And since I use the lenovo laptops 95% of the time, I boot the BIOS backup to disable the option.